Urology Community

Sport Hernia

I’ve had this condition for about more than a year now (probably longer). From my research it seems to be Sports hernia (which unlike how most people think [including a lot of doctors] is not really a hernia).

I am 24 years old 6 feet and 205 pounds. I am weekend runner, so I am not exactly athletic but I do run/exercise at least regularly sometimes 3-5 times a week, while I could also go for 2-3 weeks without any exercise. I like to sprint and do the karaoke run (for developing footwork) [alternating sideways run].

Symptoms:

- I have felt a discomfort along my inquinal area (upper inner thigh) that started for a long while ago (2 years ago) though it comes and it goes. It is only recently (4-5months ago) that it has plagued me continuously. But as I said it is only a discomfort so I can even run through it and play basketball.
- This dull pain/discomfort sometimes radiates to the testicles.
- I have also felt it on my lower abdominal area.
- When I sneeze and cough the discomfort is heightened. (As if I just worked out my abs)
- It seems like there is barely any muscle in my ab area. I no longer do any ab exercises because  on my first repetition/set it already hurts as if its being pulled apart.
- The dull pain is heightened by:
o sideways movement/turning in running.
o While lying down squeezing inwards of the thighs
o Recently even the beginning of a run heightens the pain

- While walking on wet ground, I slip a lot, I don’t really fall down but I notice that it may have caused a quirk in my walk or I probably walk differently. Because when I slip, it’s as if my leg turns outward.

Activities:

- I jog/run a lot; And I love to sprint in these jogs after I have stretched/ warmed up.
- I do a certain stretch like ballet dancers. I touch my right foot to my left inner thigh. Sometimes I feel movement in my hip, as if the bone adjusted outward, but I feel no pain (in fact it kinda feels good as if I cracked my knuckles) so I disregarded it. (I have stopped doing this stretch)
- I do high kicks/roundhouse high kicks. I started kicking just for the fun of it. I began with chest-high maybe lower, and have worked it up to my head. (In my peak I think I was able to go higher than my head)
- I play basketball. I didn’t usually wear supporters. I do now. (when I started feeling the discomfort more often) It helped although only a little.
- I recently started lifting heavy weights. Right about the time I started feeling the discomfort. I also drank protein drinks.
- I also run marathons. I ran a 21K marathon around the time the condition was aggrevating.

Doctors:

- When I started feeling the symptoms, I researched on what could cause these, this is where I stumbled upon Sport Hernia
- After enough research I was convinced that I did have it. Symptoms were accurate.
- So I went to our company doctor, he said that I should probably see a general surgeon since they would be able to identify hernias. (Note: Sport hernia is not like regular hernias, there are no opening in the abdominal wall present)
- I went to a general surgeon, and he tested me for hernia. The finger into the scrotum. And he concluded that my abdominal wall was in good shape and no holes are present.
- After that I went to sport medicine doctor, I told my piece and he somehow agreed that it was a high probability that it could be sport hernia but he could not conclude it. He can only conclude that it is not due to bone problems. He said I have to go to a urologist.
- I went to a urologist he recommended and got tested by the same test of the general surgeon. He also concluded that I did not have hernia. He said that we should observe the situation first. And that I should perform some core strengthening exercises.
- From my experience no doctor was ever aware of the existence of sport hernia situation except the sport medicine doctor.

Questions:

- Anyone know what else I could have?
- Anyone know tests that could help the doctors identify what is wrong with me?
- Which of these data should I consider important information for my doctor to help in their diagnosis?
In case anyone stumbles on this in trying to self diagnose... these symptoms could be a sports hernia.  If you have  these symptoms, find a sports surgeon or a sports medicine doctor who is familiar with the injury and who is also familiar with dynamic ultrasound.  Sports hernias are dynamic injuries, so they frequently don't show up on stationary scans like MRIs and CTs.  The injury can also be diagnosed clinically, through exams.  A good sports surgeon for an American football team, hockey team or soccer team should be very familiar with these and know how to clinically diagnose them and how to image them.  Be warned that not all surgeons are equal.  I went to one that missed four separate tears along with an incipient indirect inguinal hernia. The second surgeon found them all after a clinical exam and reviewing the MRI.  That surgeon is Dr. Nicolas Zarur of SportsClinic in Mexico City. There are a few other surgeons in the US that know how to deal with these.  Their repair techniques differ, and "sports hernia" is actually a catchall term for a few different types of injuries in different locations in the groin/hip/lower abdominal area.  Some are more specialized in some repairs.  Some also repair the same injury differently - lap. v. open; mesh v. no mesh.  I am still recovering from my surgery (2.5 months out, tears are all healed and dealin with scar tissue/calcifications and some residual spasms and weakness) but if anyone has any questions shoot me an email.  I'm not a doc, but I've done a heap of research on this stuff, and perhaps I can save you from the fiasco I went through.  ***@****