Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.5k Members

Stopping Allopurinol & Hydrochlorothiazide???

Has anyone ever stopped Allopurinol and Hydrochlorothiazide?  I had a rather large staghorn kidney stone about 2 years ago and I was tested and placed on these two medications.  I started having very low B12 levels and I asked my Urologist if the Allopurinol could be causing this?  I was having to take two B12 shots a month just to stay feeling well and cognitive.  He said, it was rare but he didn't have a problem trying to get off of it.  He told me to stop taking the Allopurinol for three months and then stop the Hydrochlorothiazide for a few days before retesting with a 24 hour urine test.  My question is, how often does this problem correct itself and what are the odds that I will be able to stop taking the meds?  I am taking several medications for various problems and want to not have to take all of this.  However, the pain of that stone makes me not want to go through it again.  Has anyone had this problem and be able to stop needing the meds?  I do have a family history of stones but none had one as big a mine and with two problems (uric acid and calcium oxalate).  I am to take this test in a few days and again I am just eager to hear of anyone who has been able to sucessfully stop needing them.  Thank you, for responding.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.