This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal
Swollen penis vein. 29 yo.
       About 3mo ago I recieved vigorous manuel stimulation. Upon returning home I noticed a swollen vein on the top and left side of the penis, which was accompanied by a slight aching.  I also noticed that I appeared to have more skin on left side as well as the smaller veins/vessels being more pronounced. (circumcised at birth). I did not feel hardness.
        I abstained from sexual contact and put myself on aspirin. Within 2 wks I went to a urologist.  He diagnosed me with phlebitis of the superficial dorsal vein. He assured me that with aspirin and hot packs it would resolve w/in 3 wks. No X-rays taken.
        That was 3+mo. ago and my symptoms havnt gone away. Aching still persists. I also have a pinching feeling at lower base of penis probably where dorsal vein begins.Veins are still tortuous underneath and superficial dorsal vein is still much larger than before trauma.
        My return visit to the doc did not leave me with any answers. He felt the phlebitis had gone away and that it was normal to have veins.
        I obviously know it is normal for the penis to have many veins.The problem is that my penis is visibly different than before and I still have a persistent ache and  pinching feeling which makes me nervous of the health of my penis. I understand everything "works" and Im sure I can still pro-create, but I really do not want 4play and intercourse to be uncomfortable for the rest of my life. I can not recieve any manuel stimulation during 4play and intercourse leaves me with an aching feeling the next day.
       Will this go away with time?  If my phlebitis is really gone,  why is the vein still swollen(or larger than pre-trauma). Why do I still have an ache? Why did my veins and skin "change"on that side? Can these symptoms last this long? I really want to avoid surgery. W/are the complications of having surgery on the veins of the penis? W/ should I do next?

       Your valuable time and service is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Typically phlebitis will resolve with conservative therapy.  

Further evaluation can be done with a penile ultrasound.  If there continues be thrombosis, a surgical procedure can be done to remove them.  

I would also consider prostatitis, which can lead to chronic penile pain.  A transrectal ultrasound, urinalysis and prostatic massage can all be considered.  

If infection has completely been ruled out, you can consider a cystoscopy to take a look at the lower GU tract anatomy.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed