Urology Community

Testicle pain

On 3/1/10 I woke up with some pain in my lower left abdomen.  I figured that I just strained myself as I had been doing some lifting the previous day.  The pain didn't go away and after a day or so I noticed some pain in my left testicle.  The pain was mostly on the top and back of the testicle.  After about a week of this I decided that enough was enough and went to see my Dr.  He said that he thought that it was an infection and that I also had a cyst on the top of my testicle right where the vas deferens meets the epididymis.  I asked him if he thought it was cancerous and he said he doubted it but he set me up with an ultra sound and some antibiotics.  The ultra sound came back fine.  They said that I had a cyst and a hydrocele.  I continued taking the antibiotics and after a few days I started feeling some progress and the pain was pretty much gone by the end of the week.  I had sex with my girlfriend (with a condom of course) and a day later the pain was back.  I still wasn't finished with my antibiotics so I figured that I had aggravated the situation by having sex.  By the end of the second week of antibiotics the pain was totally gone and I felt normal.  This continued another full week in which I was taking no antibiotics at all.  At the end of that week my girlfriend and I had sex again and a day later I started feeling the pain again.  I called my Dr. and told him that the pain returned and asked if I needed to come in and he said that he'd just give me 2 more weeks of antibiotics and if I was still having symptoms afterwards that he wanted to see me.  I'm a week into my 2nd dose of antibiotics and there's days that I feel better and days in which I still have some pain.  Did the fact that I had sex so soon after recovery to blame?  Maybe it's the cyst that's causing the discomfort?  I just wanted to get a second opinion.
A few years ago i had similar symptoms. Almost exactly as your describe them and in the exact same location. A urologist did an ultrasound and catscan to make sure everything was fine. He said it was a cyst called a "spermatocele" I believe. On and off for about a year to a year and a half, the pain would come and go. Usually on and off for a few hours to several days.The Dr. told me to take ibuprofen whenever it was a problem. I did that maybe once, because I don't like taking pills unless I have to. Eventually the pain just went away. At first, many types of physical activity (sex included) aggravated any discomfort. But that stopped as the pain went away. Apparently the side effects of treating them are worse than dealing with it. Only if it continues to grow is when I think they recommend doing something. I'd keep your appointment with the doctor just to make sure everything is fine.
Thanks for the reply.  I hope this is what is wrong.  I've been scared to death that it's something much worse like cancer.  The thing that sets my mind at ease is that if it were cancer I'm sure that the radiologist and my Dr. would have discovered it when they did the ultrasound.  I've been taking Ibuprofen on and off for the better part of a month and it does seem to help, but like you said the pain comes and goes.  There's days where I don't feel any pain at all, and there's days where it comes and goes.  And when I do feel the pain it only lasts about 10 to 15 minutes and then it's done.  I was feeling perfectly fine after taking the first round of meds and it all came back once I had sex.  I did read somewhere yesterday where a Dr. said that it's best to abstain from sex for a while if you have epididymitis.  He said that even if the infection is gone the swelling tends to stick around for a few weeks and any type of sexual activity will aggravate it.  So maybe that's what I did.  I still have a little less than a week to go on my meds, so I plan on going into see the Dr. regardless if I feel better or not just so he can do another examination and I can have some piece of mind.
Since you are already on antibiotics which is relieving your condition, so the possibility of epididymitis/ orchitis  is there. The pain sometimes radiates to the lower abdomen. Testicular pain can also be due to injury, infection (Epididymitis or Orchitis) or inflammation, excessive bicycle riding, hernia or kidney or ureteric stones.

You can provide support to the scrotum by wearing an athletic supporter, apply ice to the scrotum, take warm baths if there are signs of inflammation, while lying down, place a rolled towel under your scrotum or try over-the-counter pain relievers, like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. The final diagnosis can only be made after a thorough physical examination including examination of the abdomen, scrotum, testicles and rectum.

Lab investigations like complete blood examination, urine examination, ultrasound lower abdomen and sometimes a urethral swab will help in diagnosis. Treatment will be started thereafter. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I just finished the second dose of antibiotics and the pain has been pretty much gone for the last few days and I'm starting to feel back to normal.  

I do have a question.  How long should I wait before I resume any sexual activities?  The last time I was on the antibiotics I was feeling better at the end of the dosage and I waited a few days and had sex and then I started getting the symptoms back a day later.  I just want to make sure I wait long enough so that everything is pretty much healed up so that I don't aggravate things again.

Thanks!

Mostly with epididymitis, sexual contact should be avoided during the episode because most of these are caused by a STD. Sex is to be avoided till there is complete healing and then also practice safe sex for some time like by using condoms.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Does that include masturbation as well?  When I had sex prior to the symptoms coming back I used a condom (as I always do).  I wasn't sure if the symptoms came back because the healing wasn't complete and the epididymis was aggravated when ejaculation took place.
Here's an update...

I took the 2nd dose of antibiotics and by the end of the dose I was feeling better, but I could tell that things still weren't quite right. Then after about a week and a half the pain returned. I went back to the Dr. on Friday. He examined me again and the source of the pain is right where the cyst is located. He said that sometimes the cyst will get twisted and cause pain and it's not going to get any better unless it's removed. I could see that being the case because the few times that I've felt the cyst it's moved around pretty freely and isn't stationary at all. He referred me to a Urologist and my appointment is on Monday. I'm praying that's what the problem is and it can be removed as soon as possible.