Urology Community

Testicular mass due to injury

I was the unlucky recipient of a blow to my left testicle and shortly after it had swollen a little and I noticed an abscess that was soft but sensitive. The swelling went down within the hour but several days later the abscess had hardened and appeared to be a smooth tight sac of fluid somewhat attached to the testicle. When pressed against the skin it looks white or yellowish, there is slight tenderness in the cords connecting to the left testicle but for the most part I don't feel it. It has been about 3 weeks since then and the abscess has shrunk to about 1/2 its original size. It is now about the size of a dime but oblong in shape. My research online has led me to believe this is a hydrocele. I plan to go to a urologist July 3rd or 4th because my medical benefits do not activate until July 1st. Does this sound like it needs to be examined ASAP?

Thank you for your time. . .

Any trauma to the testicles has the possible tendency of causing a torsion of the testis, which is an emergency condition that may require surgery to preserve function of the testes.

However, since it has been over 3 weeks since the injury, no emergency intervention appears warranted.

It is most likely that the trauma could have caused a collection of fluid that is resolving without intervention on account of the body's healing mechanisms.

You can also sit in a hot bath for 10-15 minutes every day to derive additional relief and speed up healing.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
Thankyou for your answer, I had taken a few salt baths but i will make them more frequest as you suggest. The testicle itself seems to be fine no pain no tenderness is it possible the abscess is causing the tenderness in the cord? Or is this a possibly more serious problem? And I didn't think it was a torsion because of the nature of the injury and the testicle itself seems to be sitting exactly how it always does, also because in my online research I found lots of pain is associated with torsion. And mine is only slightly tender...

Thanks agian, and I'll keep you posted. . .

You do not have an abscess, just a collection of fluid around the testes.
You do not have torsion of the testes either, as that would have manifested with more severe symptoms, including severe nausea and vomiting, and would have appeared within 48 hours of the trauma.

The sitz baths will definitely help as may elevation of the scrotum.

Avoidance of strenuous physical exertion would help accelerate healing.
However, you may feel tinges of pain now and then for a few months until this resolves completely.

Regards
Well all symptoms except for the bag of fluid have disappeared no pain no tenderness no swelling. . . Thanks again

It may take as long as 8 weeks for the fluid to be absorbed, but there is no cause for worry there.

Regards