Aa
A
A
Close

Testosterone Therapy/Testicular atrophy

I had been taking an old beta-blocker (Timolol 10mgs daily) for the last two years for anxiety. Libido began to wane some.   My Testosterone level was a little low (265) about a year ago.  I doubled my Timolol to 20 mgs last year and then had severe loss of libido and ability to have an erection.  I had a urologist test my testosterone and now it had dropped to 135.  I immediately began tapering off the Timolol for fear it had caused the problem and he started me on 5mgs of Androgel.  Boy did I feel better and my libido returned to normal.  After 6 weeks my testosterone was at 395 and the sex binding reading was normal again.  I have been on Androgel for 70 days and wonder if this might cause testicular atrophy or if I would have returned to normal without the Androgel if the Timolol was the cause of the low testosterone.  Should I try going off the Androgel for a few weeks and retest.  If the beta-blocker was the root cause of the low testosterone should it return to normal now that I am off of it completely?  If my libido crashes again can I just restart the Androgel to return to normal.   I sure like how I feel now but don't want to be suppressing my natural testosterone production if it could return to normal.  Any thoughts from an MD would be appreciated.

Toothartist
Read more
Cancel
Follow
Upvote - 0
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Urology Community Resources
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Blank
Southwest , MI