Urology Forum

UTI ? Nobody at this point can figure it out

I am a healthy 39 year heterosexual male.  In february, I went to the MD and he told me I had a urinary tract infection.  Over the last 9 months I have been on:  Rocephin, tetracyclyne, Doxycycline, Cipro, Levaquin, flagyl, and now eryc...  i was told it was undetectable prostatitis.  Everytime I come off the antibiotic i get mucous membrames in my urine and a burning sensation in the urinary tract.  My urine culture keeps coming up negative.  I took a urine cytology(Fixed urine) which cleared me of bladder cancer and infection. i took an ultrasound of my bladder that showed I was clean. no back pain,no blood, my urologist says it  that it is nothing; however, when i go off the antibiotic my urine gets cloudy in two days with stinging/transient discharge down the urethra. when i take the urine culture it comes up as no infection.  i have been on antibiotics off and on for 9 months.  Could this be a fungal/yeast  infection.  I have bad skin and I have been suseptable to fungal infections since i was 12 years of age. it runs in the family I have athletes foot i have to go on sporanox to get rid of it.  My girlfriend has no thyroid.  I wonder if she transferred a fungus to me.  

Thursday i am taking a cat scan....but i had to push the urologist to give me the cat scan.
The prostate needs to be evaluated further - since chronic prostate infections can be difficult to treat and may require an extended course of antibiotics.  

One consideration would be to obtain a transrectal ultrasound to evaluate for prostatic abscess.  If this is present, antibiotics would not be helpful - it would have to be drained.  

Another consideration would be to culture any prostatic fluid - continuing symptoms can be possible if the bacteria were resistant to antibiotics.  Culturing any fluid may be able to tell whether this was a fungal infection or not.  

You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0
0
0
0
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.