A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.5k Members
716818 tn?1241027059

UTI and Kidney Stones...and pregnancy

Last week, in another community, I posted about a UTI I had been diagnosed with, because I was having some pretty serious back pain with it.  Well, after barely moving for two days I finally bypassed the base doc and went to my OB, who informed me he thinks the UTI has been taken care of, only now I have at least one kidney stone.

So, he gave me this medicine called Phenazopyridine Plus (which he called Pyridian) that is supposed to numb my urinary tract.  So, does that mean there is any chance of me not feeling something and peeing on myself?  Has anyone taken this?  And if so, did you suffer from a really dry throat, nose, and mouth?  Also, I've read online that it's not recommended for use during pregnancy, and as I'm currently pregnant, I wonder if my prenatal doc is the one who prescribed it, then it should be okay, right?

I didn't even think about the whole peeing on myself thing.  That was all my guy's thinking...
1 Responses
Hi,
     Thanks for writing in. Phenazopyridine Plus is not recommended in pregnancy and during breast feeding. It is a combination of three drugs together, namely anticholinergic, barbiturate and a dye that works as a pain killer. It is usually used in urinary tract irritation due to infection or stones.

Side effects of this drug include dry mouth, dry skin, stomach upset, blurred vision, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, decreased sweating, dizziness, constipation etc.
I would suggest that you discuss with your doctor regarding the advantages of using this in pregnancy and outweigh the benefits.
Best.
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.