Urology Community

UTI still or kidney stones?

I was recently within the last month diagnosed with a kidney stone that lead to a UTI. I finished a 7 day treatment of cipro yesterday and the UTI symptons went away, but my both my sides still hurt randomly from time to time. Should I be concerned?
Not necessarily.  Cipro always makes me feel like I have a UTI.  Read up on pumpkin seeds or pumpkin seed oil.  Maybe it would be helpful.  Not sure.  
I have just finished a course of Cipro for an infection somewhere in my body (the doctor said), I was fine with it, but I know some people get some side effects.

The Cipro that was prescribed for you was to clear the infection in the urinary tract.  It does not get rid of the kidney stone.

The kidney stone will cause you problems with urinary infections as it moves, or travels down.  This is because it scratches as it moves and then when bacteria enters the wounds, infection sets in.  You will know when the stone is moving because you will feel discomfort or pain in one or the two kidneys (depends where the stone is).  You may also experience what is called renal colic which is wind like pain in your belly.

You may notice blood when you go for a pee or a discoloured discharge.  You may also start to feel unwell with fever.  Your doctor should have prescribed you with pain relief for the discomfort of the kidney stone.

You may pass it out naturally, but it will hurt as it travels down.  The stone can be a very small grain or larger.  When you urinate, catch the urine into a recepticle so that you can observe if the stone has come out or not.  It may come out like sediment and this can happen until the stone has passed.  You will know when you stop having the discomfort and the urine has no cloudiness or other abnomalities.

Make sure you drink plenty of water, 2-3 litres per day is recommended, but your urologist may advice you drink more.  Don't overdo it though, as too much water is no good for you and can make you ill.

There is no way of telling how long it will take for a stone to come out on its one.  Mine took well over 4 months.  Most of it passed on its own, but a piece of it got stuck in the ureter and had to be surgically removed.  Every time it moved I was very ill.

Some people say to drink lemon juice or lemonade or coke products to dissolve the stone, but I cannot say for certain if this works or not.

As your sides are still hurting randomly it is likely that the stone is moving.
Only an ultra sound or special dye xray will confirm where the stone is lodged.  Very tiny grains of stone don't get pick up on ultra sound.  
It also depends on which type of stone you have.  

There are 4 different types of stone:  Calcium oxalate, struvite, uric acid, and cystine.

If you start to feel very unwell and in extreme pain, go to your hospital.

Best wishes.