Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Urethritis Symptoms Won't Go Away After Treatment

I appreciate your advice.  11 days ago I received oral sex, then 8 days ago I experienced pain while urinating along with a thick greenish discharge from my penis.  I immediately went to a local clinic where I was prescribed Cipro (500 mg twice a day) and Doxycycline (100 mg twice a day).  The doctor didn't do a culture or urinalysis, but examined it visually and said it appeared it could be be gonorrhea.

The discharge went away immediately after starting the drugs, but the pain during urination has not gotten better, and now I am feeling pressure in my testicles (not pain, but they feel swollen and heavy), and general pressure in my groin area.  3 days ago I went to a urologist, who examined my groin visually and said it looked ok.  He did a urinalysis, and said it looked pretty good but sent it in for a culture (the results will come early this week).  He also prescribed Levaquin (500 mg) once a day for 5 days, and said to stop taking the Cipro and Doxy.

After taking Levaquin for 4 days now, I am still having the same pain while urinating and am very worried that something incurable or resistant to antibiotics is going on.  I'm also concerned about the pressure I'm feeling in my testicle area, thinking maybe the infection I originally had is spreading.

I've heard there are some resistant forms of Gonorrhea that can only be cured by taking an injection of ceftriaxone.  Should I press my urologist to give me this injection?  Could something else be causing this painful urination to continue?  I'm scared out of my wits about this and would appreciate your thoughts.
2 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
There are several options to treat gonorrhea.  You could take the Cipro, or you can take the IM dose of Ceftriaxone.  There is a possibility that the bacteria may be resistant to one of the antibiotics.  

Other possibilities can include the prostate - I would consider a rectal exam to evaluate the prostate.  Any prostatic secretions should be sent to the lab for analysis and culture.  If prostatitis is present, this may require an extended course of antibiotics.  

Another consideration would be a prostatic abscess.  A transrectal ultrasound can be considered to evaluate for this possibility.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Avatar universal
A related discussion, curious was started.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.