Urology Community

Urinary frequency

I'm 67 years old.  I've been having urinary frequency and I had a post void retention test done and it was 50ml.  My urologist told me I'm not emptying my bladder completely but isn't she wrong.   Is a  50ml a normal value?
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Thanks for the question.  We always recommend you work with your doctor. There are two methods of testing voiding, which did you use for your test? A result of 50ml is right at the threshold of being high.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472847/  A normal result is 20 to 25ml.  Your doctor may be indicating that you are at a higher risk for recurring urinary tract infections.  

What was their recommendation?
At 67 it’s common for guys to have some prostate enlargement, which can make complete emptying of the bladder problematic. Was a DRE performed? Were you told you had BPH (benign enlargement)? Also hopefully have a PSA test done  - if there’s enlargement AND a high PSA level, you may be at
risk for prostate cancer, even if the DRE didn’t find anything suspicious. That’s what happened to me - I had a high PSA (8.4) at age 67 but DRE didn’t note anything other than enlargement. Dr wanted me to see a Urologist, I thought it was due to smthg else (which it can be), so I put it off for a yr, then later found out I had prostate cancer & had to have surgery. I’m telling all my male friends not to ignore such symptoms - prostate cancer is much easier to treat - and CURE - in the earliest stages. I waited a bit too long & now have some complications. Best to catch & treat it early! If this is just benign enlargement, then no big deal. Sounds like your case is not of a serious nature yet, but stay on top of it & don’t ignore symptoms - this advice goes out to all guys, even as young as early 40s. If you have a high PSA & they want to do a biopsy, ask to have a PHI test (Prostate Health Index) performed 1st - it’s a simple blood test & is much more accurate than PSA alone. If your # comes back low, you’re most likely OK & won’t need the biopsy...
I should have stated I'm a female.  

My spouse had prostate cancer about 4 years ago and it was caught early.  He had surgery to remove the prostate.  He does go in for regular check ups and PSA testing.  
Oops, sorry about that! When I hear that age range & urinary  problems, I automatically think it’s an older guy. Hope your husband is doing well since his surgery. Keep us updated & let us know how you’re doing w/ your issue...
Oh (blush) sorry Mari654.  I don't know why I assumed you were male.  Forget everything except the part about not fully voiding is cause for concern.  I don't know if you've ever had a UTI.  These aren't fun.  If you have a smallish bladder and 50mL is a fair franction of the size you will also have to consider frequency of urination.  There are OAB drugs that are meant to lower your urge to go but in my experience come with side effects o plenty.  I don't know first hand what its like to cath as a female but having been sent the wrong sex catheters more then once I can say it looks a lot less trouble.  Female uretheras must be 1/4 the length of men's so what I said about it not being a big deal after you've done it a while is "probably" still accurate.  I should note that the concept seems to freak out some people (One of my doctors) but the actual doing it on my "no big deal" list.  Its sure better then getting up at night several times or just hiking back and forth to the bathroom all day.  I have the retention problem you do and a very small bladder.  So without cathing I retain a little less then half the total volume.  
50mL is still quite a but of urine and stagnent urine can cause UTIs and other sorts of stuff.  Did your doctor do a volume measurement of your bladder?   I ask because if you have a smaller sized bladder that and the 50mL left in the tank are going to mean a lot of visits to the bathroom.  A couple of thoughts based on my experience (I'm not a doctor)   If your waking up to go to the bathroom thats significant.  If you have never had a PSA test get one yearly (Do that anyway - All you guys - it saved my ass) I would consider having urodynamics done to get accurate numbers on your bladder size and how able you are to pass urine.  If you have prostate enlargement don't let anyone blow that off.  I was told they were going to do a TURP (Auger a large hole through the prostate)  Fortunately a PA told me that since I had a PSA level that was suddenly going up to insist on a biopse.  I did and was told its cancer but you probably will die from something else before it gets you.  And "We can just do nothing but "watchful waiting" which is do nothing and keep checking to see how bad it gets.  Is there a prostate cancer that grows so slow it doesn't kill you?  I have 3 family members who had it.  2 died horrible deaths from prostate cancer (Which wasn't slow growing) and the third had to do chemical castration and take estrogen because it was too advanced to remove it.  

I went straight for a prostectomy and in the end was told they removed it just in time because cancer was about to get out of the prostate and spread.  Based on my family having had two men with that its a terrible way to go.  (Bone Cancer - brain UGH)  Anytime a doctor says one option is do nothing you can expect most men to say "GREAT!" I think we all live shorter lives (versus women) because we are phobic about people fussing around with sharp things.  

If your doctor thinks your retaining too much urine and you don't have any prostate problems study up on cathing.  It sounds awful but if you have too much urine left and your waking up at night to go this solves both problems and its (honest) not a big deal after you have done it a while.  Get a good doctor who doesn't blow things off and be proactive in your treatment.

Good luck!  
James, glad to know you’re doing OK. I had my surgery July 31, 2028, but post-surgery PSA indicates still some cancer. I had a special scan out at UCLA, which revealed a malignant lymph node in the iliac region, will have it surgically removed later this month. Yours on the same page I am regarding this - do NOT ignore high PSA & be proactive...
Sorry - July 2018, not 2028...