Urology Community

Will epididymitis & orchitis go away on it's own?

I saw a urologist for discomfort I was facing from my testes. I thought it might have been from weight-lifting or ab workouts.

She ordered a Ultra-sound and a Urine analysis. Urine analysis showed no problems. Ultra-sound showed that on the right testes there is epididymitis. In addition, both testes had an increased blood flow which the doctor says is orchitis.

The past couple days I have not felt the discomfort. I told that to the doctor. She said "Take this Cipro antibiotics prescription, if you feel the discomfort again, take the antibiotics, if you don't feel the discomfort, then don't take the antibiotics." (She said it was orchitis due to a bacterial infection and it's common).

Now, my question is, will epididymitis & orchitis go away on it's own? I just don't want to take the antibiotics for no reason & kill away my "good bacteria."
These symptoms are suggestive of orchitis which is an infection of the testicles. Both orhcitis and epididymitis are infections of the testicle and epididymis respectively. Antibiotics is the treatment option for bacterial orhcitis. You can provide support to the scrotum by wearing an athletic supporter, apply ice to the scrotum, take warm baths if there are signs of inflammation, while lying down, place a rolled towel under your scrotum or try over-the-counter pain relievers, like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

No, this doesn't help! Your answers shows inability to put yourself in the shoes of the person on the other end - something absolutely necessary for a physician. Half of your answer was a blah-blah crap thar he probably already googled. The other half is telling him to see his physician, which he already did. So you wrote a completely useless reply.
Hey Dr. Kaur,

So, I felt the discomfort on my right testicle and I contacted my doctor (urologist) and she said to start the Cipro antibiotics for 14 days.

So, I am on it, and it is currently day 6. Day 1 - day 5, I felt nothing. Today, this morning, I woke up with discomfort on the right testicle again.

I take the antibiotic with my breakfast and like 2-4 hours later I take a probiotic supplement (contains 5 billion good bacteria per capsule). - This way the antibiotic kills everything and 2-4 hours later I supplement my body with probiotics so that I don't face weak immune system.

Then like 6 hours later, I have my dinner and I take the antibiotic again. Then 2 hours later, I take another probiotic supplement before I sleep.

Can the probiotic help me not face side effects from Cipro?  Also, I eat a lot of greek  yogurt. Anything in my diet I should stay away from for the antibiotics to be effective?

Thanks doc!
I'm currently experiencing epididymitis, and I was first precribed Cipro, it didn't work, as the symptoms were less than before, but not so much of a difference.

I went back to the urologist and this time he prescribed ceftriaxone and doxycilin, I finished that second round of antibiotics two days ago, and I still feel a bit discomfort in my groin (which was disappearing).  I hope that it will diminish, but I'm very worried that it would come again a second time.
mayoclinic.org remarks that >6 weeks leads to it being considered chronic epididymitis.

Rev Urol. 2003 Fall; 5(4): 209–215  reviews diagnosis and treatment options in detail up to that point
hey friend!! do you feel any better?