Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.3k Members

alpha blockers

will alpha blockers help after turp surgey? also will tylenol pm hurt after turp surgey? i have had turp surgey 1 year ago its defintley has  help during day but i have to get up on good night 3-4 times to void always with a erection this is reason i asked about tyenol pm, is this some kind of freak something im having with the erection when i feel the urge to void are has some one else experienced this, dont happen of day only when im laying down to sleep.
1 Responses
Hi,
    Thanks for writing in. TURP is a surgical proccedure which is done to treat bening prostatic hyperplasia. Apart from surgical management, medical treatment has also gained importance these days. It is because of the side effects after TURP like retrograde ejaculation, blood in urine etc.

Also patients who do not wish to get surgery or who have contraindications for surgery, who want temporary relief from symptoms or ones who are having recurrent prostatic hyperplasia can opt for medical mangement.

Alpha blockers relax the muscles in the prostate and bladder neck, easing the flow of urine in about 70% of men with BPH. Doxazosin and terazosin  both can lower the blood pressure. The newest alpha blockers , flomax, and alfuzosin, are less likely to affect the blood pressure. Unlike the alpha blockers, finasteride actually shrink the prostate gland. Unfortunately, they take many months to work and are likely to help only men with rather large glands.

Nocturia- night time urination is a common symptom of enlarged prostrate. I would advise you to get checked with your urologist for the prostrate.

Tylenol pm is a combination of acetaminophen and diphenhydramine. Acetaminophen is an analgesic and anti inflammatory drug, where as diphenhydramine is a sedative. Tylenol pm is a drug with very few side effects and is non- habit forming drug. Nocturia is not a result of  the use of this drug.
Visit a urologist and discuss about the treatment options available.
All the best.

'  

Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.