Urology Forum

crystals in urine

I recently had a urine drug screen result of: adulterated with Urine Luck.  I've looked this up on the internet and found that Urine Luck is an adulterant consisting of pyridinium possibly with chromate. The test for detection of this yields iodate crystals.  I never added anything to my urine. Can you explain why this showed up?  I take the following medications:  HCTZ, Metoprolol, Prozac, sudafed, estrogen, and I chew nicotine gum.  No drugs or metabolites were found in my urine.  Please help me.
I cannot think of a medical reason or disease why the test would show up as an adulterated sample, if you haven't been taking Urine Luck.  

It is always possible that the mistake is on the lab's side (i.e. confusing it with another sample), and you may want to consider repeating the test with another specimen.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.