Urology Community

detrusor sphincter dyssynergia

Hello, i just need a second opinion about my urodynamic test results.
Uroflowmetry shows obstructive pattern and incomplete bladder emptying.
cystometry : the urethra function during filling was normal, and the compliance was high (82,20cc/cm.
Pressure uroflowmetry: the detrusor activity during emptying sowed to be hypoactive and high pressure. and the urethra activity was abnormal ( detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia).
EMG showed normal sphincter electrical activity and detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia.

After seeing this results my urologist  said all these was due to my urethra being too small ( despite saying it was fine in previous consult) and proceeded to make an urethral dilatation,  he also prescribe doxazin and mestinon.

I have been reading that detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia is often the first sign of some neurological problems, my doctor never mentioned this. should i have been referred to a neurologist?

Hi I was diagnosed with the same condition in 1995 after having had surgery to remove an obstruction in the bladder neck. I had a TURP and resection of the bladdernec.
After a urodynamics test in 1996, I was diagnosed as having a neurogenic bladder. This means that I have no control to relax the sphincter to control the flow of urine. I now use intermittant catherization for this.

In 1998 I was found to have a heriditary neuropathy.
It is quite possible that you might have a neurological problem and it would not hurt to question your doctor about this.

All the best,

Ron