This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal
frequent urination

Posted by TLH on May 26, 1999 at 11:47:51
I am a 25 year old female.  I have always had a problem with frequent urination. I can urinate once and then 10 minutes later the urge will hit me again.  I usually get up three times during the night and wake in the mornings with a very strong urge to go.  I do not have any pain or burning when I urinate. This is getting to be a nusciance.  I have never had a kidney or bladder infection.  I have had one kidney stone a few months ago.  I don't know if I should see a urologist to get to the bottom of the problem or if it is all in my head.

Posted by Ken Grantham on June 14, 1999 at 15:06:31
I am a 35 year old male and have the same problem with frequency and contant urge. Sometimes the urge is accompanied by a burning pain. I visited my urologist several times to locate the problem. While I went in for surgury (orchiectomy) in May, he (my urologist) did a hydrodistension of my bladder. During the follow-up appointment he revealed my diagnosis. I have Interstitial Cystitis (IC), which was revealed during the hydrodistension. The bladder is stretched out while under anethesia and the surface of the bladder is inspected with a cystoscope. The bladder walls have little pin-point hemorages which are the "hallmark" of IC. I would recommend anyone who experiencing frequency or urgency to be checked for this disease. If you'd like more information you can visit the ICA (Interstitial Cystitis Association) at http://www.ichelp.com .

Posted by HFHS M.D.-MS on June 18, 1999 at 15:14:02
Dear TLH
Thanks for your questions.
Frequency of urination can be caused by a urinary tract infection, passing kidney stone, to much fluid consumption, bladder tumor , interstitial cystitis or  idiopathic reasons ( nervous bladder).  A trip to a urologist can check you out for all of the above.  A voiding diary ( a table of what time and how much in ounces you void ) would be of great help to your doctor trying to sort this out.  
If you are diagnosed with a nervous bladder or urinary tract infection, medications can help.  If interstitial cystitis, tumor or stone is found, surgery maybe needed.  
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians
Discussion is closed
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1