Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

going crazy

For about a month or more, I had frequent urination and then it went away.  Now about after 2 to 3 weeks of being fine, its back again.  I am going to the bathroom so often its driving me crazy.  Even after I go, I still feel like I have to go more and its a pretty constant feeling of needing to go.  At times it almost feels like there is something stopping me from finishing.  I had an ultrasound done of kidneys and bladder to rule out kidney stones and it shows nothing wrong.  I have had 3 urine tests done and those came back negative for any infection.  I have lower back pain but dont know if thats related or not, no other symptoms, no pain, no blood in the urine.  My labs are normal.  The Dr handed me Detrol LA and said maybe overactive bladder but arent more tests supposed to be done to rule out other things first?  I am a 47 yr old female.  Does overactive bladder just come out of nowhere?  I have had no problems prior to this.  Do I need a cystoscopy or are there other ways of checking bladder problems as I had a friend who had that done and it was very painful for her.  Any info you can provide will be appreciated.
2 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I would assume that basic tests were done to rule out diabetes and infection.

A cystoscopy can be considered if there is suspicion of anatomical changes of the lower urinary tract.  

You can also consider urodynamic studies (i.e. cystometry, pressure flow studies etc.) to evaluate the pelvic floor and bladder/lower GU tract function. These set of tests are quite comprehensive and should be able to narrow down the diagnosis.

These options can be discussed with your urologist.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.