Urology Community

high testosterone

I am a 56 yr old male...I've had my total testosterone checked the last two years in a row as part of my annual physical.  Last year it was 1037ng/dl and this year it is 976ng/dl.  This year they also did a Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) Test which showed an 80nmol/L level.  According to the health provider the normal range for total testosterone is 193-740ng/dl and for SHBG 14-48nmol/L.   My total testosterone and SHBG are well above what the provider says is "standard".   The results of the rest of my blood panel were all within the "standard" range.  My father passed  away at 57 from a first and fatal heart attack.  Should I be concerned about this?
SHBG levels increase with hyperthyroidism, cirrhosis, anorexia nervosa, and certain drugs. Consult a urologist and get evaluated for all these causes.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.