Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.5k Members

high testosterone

I am a 56 yr old male...I've had my total testosterone checked the last two years in a row as part of my annual physical.  Last year it was 1037ng/dl and this year it is 976ng/dl.  This year they also did a Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) Test which showed an 80nmol/L level.  According to the health provider the normal range for total testosterone is 193-740ng/dl and for SHBG 14-48nmol/L.   My total testosterone and SHBG are well above what the provider says is "standard".   The results of the rest of my blood panel were all within the "standard" range.  My father passed  away at 57 from a first and fatal heart attack.  Should I be concerned about this?
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374246539
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
SHBG levels increase with hyperthyroidism, cirrhosis, anorexia nervosa, and certain drugs. Consult a urologist and get evaluated for all these causes.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.