Urology Community

is flomax harmful??

I was given cipro and Flomax for pelvic pain and a UTI.  the pain was through the whole pelvis and also individual veins or spermatic cord.  does Flomax permanently shrink your prostate or reduce testosterone levels?  I read one forum where people where saying they had a permanent loss of strength, could not throw the discus as far?  I'm still not cured of the pelvic pain on Flomax+cipro after a few days

it is labeled as relaxing the bladder neck and prostate muscles but it has these strength loss problems.  people even lose their sight or something.  
Every drug has its own side effects and Flomax (tamsulosin) is no exception. However it has been reported that treatment with FLOMAX capsules for up to 12 months had no significant effect on prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and does not effect prostate. It effect the vision and may cause blurred vision but that is found in only 0.2- 2% of the patients.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi there!

Flomax neither reduces the size of the prostate nor does it reduce the testosterone levels. It just relaxes the smooth muscles of the urethra to aid in smooth flow of the urine. Though flomax may lead to sexual dysfunction and retrograde ejaculation, the effects are unlikely to be permanent.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!

if you google Flomax forum there's a discus thrower who reported loss of strength on it.  my left eye which was going blind from bell's is now weaker.  maybe Flomax helps sexual dysfunction/blood flow but alfuzosin seems to have less side effects