just diagnosed

i went to my dr. today and was told i had an enlarged prostate. i am 43 and am worried. my dad has prostate cancer. they took blood to check psa levels.  i was wandering if anybody else on here had or has an enlarged prostate around my age and what may cause this condition.  std related, or other infection. i appreciate any help and thank you in advance..
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

Since your PSA levels are normal, cancer for now can be ruled out. Having an enlarged prostate can cause problems with urination in the form off having a hard time starting to urinate, urinary retention causing you to wake several times at night to urinate. When you go to the bathroom to urinate ussually it is just a small amount and then a few minutes to hours later you are woken up by the urge to urinate again.

I was only around 30 when I started having these problems. I would wake up numerours times to urinate but only the produce a small amount of urine at a time.

Medications to relax, dialate the prostate should be tried first before any surgery is to be suggested. When I had the problems Flomax was the drug available to treat this.
Currently they might have different medications or therapy to treat BPH.

After it was found that Flomax was not really helping me, it was decided that a TURP and bladderneck resection was the best option at the time.
In a TURP a scope is passed in through the penis and the urologist using the scope will cut prostate tissue out in order to open up the restriction, obstruction.
A few possible side effects are retrograde ejectulation (most often results) and possibility of incontenence.

My advise to you is to try the route of medications and therapy first. Use surgery as a last option. In some cases it is possible for an obstruction inside the prostate to occur again.

I suggest that you consult with a urologist to determine the next steps of treatment. Perhaps the urologist would like to schedule a cystoscopy to look inside the prostatic urethra to determine the level of obstruction.

Sincerely,

Ron
Helpful - 0
ok, labs came back and nurse said psa normal so no cancer yet.  now i would like to know if someone could tell me what now.. i had an unprotected oral exposure about 16 months ago.. i was worried about that but vance in std forum said std has nothing to do with prostate.. docs on expert std forum say the same.. my white blood cell count was normal to so does that rule out infection in prostate and it is just enlarged.. any input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks again in advance...
Helpful - 0

A few years ago a urologist put me on testosterone replace therapy since I was not producing enough testosterone. I had lost one testicle due to an infection.
During a random blood test the check on the testosterone level and PSA it was noted that the PSA level was high. The urologist asked me if I had had a UTI or other sort of infection. I told him that a few days before my appointment with him I had just finished a course of Cipro to treat a kidney infection. He mentioned that this could have brought the PSA levels up.
Another blood test was done and this time it was quite a bit lower.

In 1995 at the age of 30 I underwent a TURP since I had an obstruction of the bladderneck.

On both sides of the family, parents there have been males with prostate problems and two of them with prostate cancer. Both of them uncles on my dad's maternal side of the family. My Maternal grandfather started having BPH at about the age of 75.

Prior to 1995, doctors had been telling me that I had prostatitis. I first started hving urinary problems at about the age of 23. First time was a kidney infection. Both from my dad's and mother's side of the family there have been kidney problems.

Strangely enough but a blessing, my 73 y/o dad as of yet does not have any signs of prostate problems other than a bit elevated PSA levels. I don't know if it is possible to skip a generation.

Genetics do play a role in cancers. On my wife's side of the family she has had several uncles come down with different types of cancers. Her mom passed away after stomach cancer spread to the liver and intestines.

Most males who end up getting prostate cancer at a later stage in life (70.s and older) will most likely pass away because of some other reason different than prostate cancer.
One of my wifes uncles was diagnosed with prostate and bladder cancer in his early 70.s. He is now in his mid 80.s and is having heart problems as well as stomach cancer. He is the younger brother of my mother in law. Since she passed away from stomach cancer, you should be able to see that genetics play a role since her brother has come down with the same type of cancer.

For you at 43 I sincerely hope that the PSA levels are high because of an infection. Itis much easier to treat an infection.
One thing that they could do is a prostate biopsy. A needle is passed throught he rectum into the prostate and a tissue sample is withdrawn. This can then be checked to see what sort of growth it is. In a case of BPH, this can be removed by a TURP.
If you are having some difficulties with urination, you can be treated with Flomax. I had been taking Flomax from about 1995 till 2008. In 2008 after having had a severe kidney infection and pneumonia, I discovered that I have a fistula between my rectum and prostate. From March 2008 up to now I have lived with a catheter. Therefore ther is no need for the Flomax at this time.
I'm 4 months away from being 47.

I hope that you will be able to get this under control.

All the best.

Ron
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Urology Community