Urology Forum

kidney infection???

Posted by Tiffany on May 24, 1999 at 14:53:02
I am a 25 year old female.  I had a small stone that had to be crushed several weeks ago.  Three weeks after the surgery, I returned to the doctor for a check-up.  At that time, everything was fine.  One week later I started experiencing lower back pain and a burning sensation when I urinate.  I went to my family doctor to check for an infection.  Everything was fine.  He went ahead and put me on antibiotics for a kidney infection.  It is now one week later and the symptoms have gotten worse.  I have had a problem with excessive urination for app. 10 years (I usually get up 2-3 times during the night and at least once every two hours during the day).  I have visited the doctor several times because of this and everytime my urine has been fine.  I am at a loss as to what to do or what it could be.  Any suggestions???

Posted by HFHS M.D.-SAL on June 05, 1999 at 00:07:42

Dear Tiffany,
Thanks for your question. Usually after lithotripsy (crushing the stone with sound waves), smaller fragments take some time to pass.  During the passage, a few fragments may get stuck in the lower ureter.  They give pain and feeling of frequent urination.  These symptoms usually disappear when all fragments pass. Your physician may want to order a plane X-ray abdomen to pick up any small fragments.  Usually no specific treatment is required and the fragments usually pass in few weeks.  If they persist or pain and fever occur, ureteroscopy (endoscopic manipulation) may be required.  
Hope this information will be of some help to you.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. Urologist at the Henry Ford Hospital, Department of Urology has experience in the evaluation and treatments of problems such as you describe. They would be most interested in helping you. You can reach them through our toll-free number (1-800-653-6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any x-rays  (not just the reports) as well as any physicians' notes and lab test results that you may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-A.T.
*keyword: stones, lithotripsy

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.