Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.4k Members

kidney pain

Off and on now I have had pain in my right kidney, it doesn't happen all the time but it's pretty consistant enough now that I'm beginning to get concerned. I don't have any history of kidney problems, no stones, infection of any sort and it's not a consistant pain it comes and goes. The feeling is a warm deep sorness. I do have a history of lower back pain caused by arthritis could they be related?
1 Responses
Hi,
    How are you? Pain caused by the kidneys is typically felt in the flank area, which is in the back, just at the lower edge of the ribs on either side of the spine. Pain caused by the kidneys tends to be sharp, severe and occur in waves.
It is rare for the kidneys to cause dull, aching pain. People sometimes equate back pain with kidney pain, but dull aching pain in the back , especially the lower back or the middle of the back  is usually due to muscles, ligaments, or even vertebrae and disks in the spinal column. Musculoskeletal pain typically gets worse with movement, and is relieved by heat or massage.
The causes of kidney pain could be stones, infection, tumors, polycystic kidney disease and urinary tract obstruction. As you mentioned that you don't suffer from all these, and the kind of pain you mentioned does not refer to the kidney pain.
So, I would advise you to get an ultrasound with X-rays of spine done and visit an orthopaedician.
Take care.
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.