Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.4k Members

kidney stone removal

my husband has just had kidney stones removed - is it normal to have extreme pain when passing urine?
2 Responses
647273 tn?1292094741
I had this when I was about 24.
Even though I was lucky that it was a relatively small stones, it scraped the urethra in the process of being passed with urination. Since the urethra experiences trauma from this, it will hurt to urinate as urine gets in contact with the scraped urethra. Also the urethra gets somewhat stretched during urination, so you will feel that while the urethra heals.
I rememeber pain in the lower right kidney area that radiated down and around. You could actually feel the material move as it was passed from the kidney to the bladder. Once in the bladder there was a short relieve untill the stone ended up at the bladder neck and made it's way through the urethra.

No fun and not something that I would like to experience again. I have had other things that were more severe, yet I can recall the sensation very well.

All the best,

Ron
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
It is normal to experience pain for 1-2 days after kidney stone removal. This is because of trauma to the ureters and kidneys which occurs when the stones are removed. Ask your doctor to prescribe your husband anti inflammatory pain killer drugs like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac. If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a physician as any complication of the procedure and infection has to be ruled out.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.