Urology Community

kidney stone removal

my husband has just had kidney stones removed - is it normal to have extreme pain when passing urine?
I had this when I was about 24.
Even though I was lucky that it was a relatively small stones, it scraped the urethra in the process of being passed with urination. Since the urethra experiences trauma from this, it will hurt to urinate as urine gets in contact with the scraped urethra. Also the urethra gets somewhat stretched during urination, so you will feel that while the urethra heals.
I rememeber pain in the lower right kidney area that radiated down and around. You could actually feel the material move as it was passed from the kidney to the bladder. Once in the bladder there was a short relieve untill the stone ended up at the bladder neck and made it's way through the urethra.

No fun and not something that I would like to experience again. I have had other things that were more severe, yet I can recall the sensation very well.

All the best,

Ron
It is normal to experience pain for 1-2 days after kidney stone removal. This is because of trauma to the ureters and kidneys which occurs when the stones are removed. Ask your doctor to prescribe your husband anti inflammatory pain killer drugs like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac. If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a physician as any complication of the procedure and infection has to be ruled out.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.