Urology Community

kidney stones, lithotripsy

I recently discovered I had kidney stones....and now, tomorrow, I am having my second lithotripsy, as the first one did not work.  How long do they keep these miserable, stents in, and how many times can one get lithotripsies?  Does surgery come next if the lithotripsies don't work? It's funny---I am a nurse, and have been for many, many years, but don't know these answers.  I work full time, yet, and this stent is making my life very difficult.  I think I have to pee every 15 minutes or so, I have bladder spasms, and I really don't feel very professional running to the restroom on a routine basis.  I tell my co-workers, it is my second office.  The doctor put me on valium, after my request, and that has taken the edge off, but darn, it is still there.  What has worked for others?  Please tell me your stories.  I feel like I am going crazy with all of this.
If the size of the stone is small, it’s usually treated with ESWL in which shock waves are given from outside and stone breaks into small pieces. On the other hand, if the stone is quite big, then the surgical removal of the stone is a better option. Please do continue to drink lots of water for it does facilitate at least in preventing the formation of new stones if not the flushing out of the present stones.

. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.