Urology Community

kidney stones-what to do to get them expelled

Hi, I have been diagnosed with several unobstructive kidney stones on my left side.  I have no fever...I went to the er and a ct scan showed a 3 cm cyst on my left ovary in addition to revealing the stones (right kidney).  I am bloated and aching, and my back and entire abdomen hurts.  It's been over a week and half...I am on an antibiotic as well as percocet as it is the only drug that takes the edge off.  My question is, how much longer will it take for the stones to pass?  Any home remedies for pain and to get these stones on their way?  Could these symptoms be something else?  I am going to follow up with by GP by wed, so any info would be great, especially regarding tests I should ask him to run.  Thank you.
Hi, kidney stones have different composition chemically, like calcium oxalate, uric acid stones etc. Please get stones tested along with blood calcium and uric acid levels.

Take 3-4 lts of water daily, beer or barley water do induce dieresis which helps in flushing the stones. Pain killers like combination of diclofenac and dextropropoxyphene along with ciprofloxacin is quite helpful in relieving pain and infection
I am not totally sure I understand your situation.  The stones are in the ureter or the kidney?  
This makes all the difference in how to answer.
Shelly
the stones are unobstructive and are in the kidney.
Your pain is most likely cause by something else.  Both of my kidneys are FULL of stones too many to count.  With 4 larger ones, 2 in each kidney. I also have nephrocalcinosis. The left kidney has the larger stones and a cyst but only hurts occasionally, if I am passing a stone and sometimes if feels like the larger one gets stuck somewhere.  The right kidney however I live with chronic pain, which we have connected to a chronic infection and a narrowing that makes them more painful when the little ones pass!  So I would rule out infection first.

Stones can stay in your kidney for ever.  It helps to drink plenty of fluids etc.  but honestly they are not that much of an issue untill they go into the ureter.  There is some evidence that the nephrocalcinosis inside the kidney can cause some issue, pressure etc.  I also like I said think that when they move around there is some pain issues, but it is not the renal colic that you KNOW is stone pain!

I did read recently that drinking barley water is good to help passing stones.  Obviously it wouldn't hurt and is basically healthy!  The biggest thing is to keep the stones from getting any larger!  To do that you must keep your kidneys flushed etc.  You can not make any diet changes untill you pass one and have it tested to know what it is made of.
Many times they are calcium oxlate.  If they are B6 and magnesium help to prevent stones and help them not to get bigger,  The B6 competes with the calcium to bind to the oxlate the magnesium helps your body to absorb calcium instead of putting it your urine!

Shelly