Urology Community

lower back pain? kidney?

A couple of days ago I had a pain start in my back, lower right side, seems to be below my ribs but not into my hip area (I have sciatic problems, that was my first guess), the pain is continuing, seems to come and go, feels like a deep, achy, pulling kind of thing.  I don't have any pain/blood when urinating though, no fever or other symptoms.  Is this a sign of a kidney infection or something like that? Possible stone? I thought I had pulled a muscle or something, but this is a different kind of pain than what I've had before.  
Sounds like kidney stones to me. Go to the doctor for a urinalysis to check for a UTI. If kidney stones are suspected, he/she will probably take xrays.

Low back pain may be due to a lot of causes .It may be positional, spine and nerve related, musculoskeletal. They may be due to involvement of structures like the kidneys,the ureters and some organs of the gastrointestinal and reproductive  tract.

A consult with your primary physician for a complete physical examination may help focus on the cause. A simple urinalysis may be done. Infections, nephritis, nephrotic states ( excessive protein in the urine), stones may be noted in the urinalysis.The next step for management will be influenced by the urinalysis results.

I hope this is able to help.