Urology Community

microscopic blood in urine *history kidney stones

I am a 40 year old female with a history of kidney stones. Latest ultrasound (1 year ago) noted stones bilaterally. I have had previous symptoms of UTI only to have tests come back negative for infection but positive for blood. The last 4 urine samples have all tested positive for microscopic blood ( all tests done in the past 5 months).

I just had my anual physical 1 month ago and urine test noted traces of blood with no infection. My worry is that this could be a sign of bladder cancer. Could the stones in the kidney's be causing the positive blood results even if they are not moving? My GP has referred me to a urologist and has recommended that I get a cystoscopy. I am still awaiting to hear from the urologist, referals can take up to 3 weeks to be processed. Is this something that I should push or wait for them to contact me?

Please advise on what this could be.

thank you for your time.
Kidney stones can cause hematiria (blood in your urine). In February I underwent two surgeries to get rid of 10 stones. Stones sitting in your kidney can cause kidney infections. Your best bet is to see the urologist and take care of those stones. Good luck to you!
Thank you Ellen, this is what I'm hoping to do.
A word of warning to you if you happen to need surgery for those kidney stones. They more then likely will put a stent in your ureter to keep it open so you are able to pee. Your ureter will swell when you have those stones extracted. It's called a double J stent. It hooks into your kidney and bladder. They are quite uncomfortable. I found it painful to have and I had to have 2 of them this time. Make sure you stay well hydrated or the stent rubs on your kidney causing severe pain. The doctor and nurses never said a word and three days post op I was in so much pain I didn't know what was wrong with me. I was told to drink at least 2 liters of water a day.
oh wow Ellen, thank you for the warning. I would love to get these stones out, but the stent sounds horrible :( Hopefully this new urologist will know what to do. I have been struggling with kidney stones for over 15 years and no one has been able to do anything about it.