Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

mothers maiden name

My mom is 83 and has type 2 diabetes.  Her recent blood work shows Gluecose Serum 231
                                                                                                       Glom Filt, Est 56 L, Triggycerides 359 H, Hemoglobin Alc 10.8 H

Is she facing Kidney failure?  We are going next week to dr. to discuss, but wanted to know what she is facing.
Thank you
1 Responses
438205 tn?1240959349
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL

A glomerular filtration rate of 56 is a moderate decrease in kidney function and is not unexpected on the basis of her age and her diabetes. A nephrologist could give you a more expert opinion, but I do not think that you can predict that she is facing kidney failure in the sense that she will require dialysis. I think that she needs to be followed with checks of her renal function over time to learn if there is a trend. Certainly, better control of her diabetes and reduction of her triglycerides will help to maximize her chances of avoiding or slowing down further decline in her glomerular filtration rate.
Hope that this helps.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnosticDiagnostic laparoscopy
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.

Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.