Urology Forum

mucus in urine

I have had kidney stones and still have one in the meat of my left kidney. I had to have one laserd to brake it up almost a year ago. now i believe i have more again I am waiting to be tested for that. MY problem is nfor the last week or so I can't sleep for more than about 4 hours before the ake in my back wakes me up and the pain is equal on both sides. strongest at the kidney area and radaiting in to the small of my back. in the mornings my urin is bright orange. so i figure there is blood in it now the day of my dr's appoint ment i sleep through the night and in the morning my urin is normal. the next day the pain is back and so is the dicouleration in my urine. I fgure the Dr. does not take me as seriose as i would like but Now 2 Days later I urinate and there is a clear mucus in my urine, and on the paper when I wipe myself it has no smell but this is very new to me! also the pain that keeps me from sleeping normaly goes away once i have been up for a while but now it is not going away compleatly. And i know the mucus is NOT vaginal. So what i want to know is if this is not a return of the Kidney stones what elce could be causing this pain and now this dicharge?
Infection or stones can indeed lead to mucous in the urine.

Testing the urine for blood and bacteria should be considered.  If infection is present, it should be appropriately treated with antibiotics.

If stones are of a concern, a CT scan can be done to rule this out - this would be the most sensitive test for this suspicion.  

If the tests remain negative, a cystoscopy can be done to further evaluate the GU tract.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
you missed the point I have no infection my urine was tested. and I know I make stones and I have one in my left kidney for sure in the meat of that kidney. and I am sure I have more in the right kidney and am awaiting a xray using dye not sure the name of the test sorry. I was wondering if there were other causes for the mucus because I have never had it before and I have had infections and stones.
I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE A URINE CULTURE DONE.  I GOT A URINALYSIS DONE IT IT CAME OUT OK. THE NEXT DAY I TOOK A SAMPLE FOR A URINE CULTURE, AND FOR MY SURPRISE WHEN I GOT THE RESULTS, I INDEED HAD A BACTERIA.
YOU SHOULD MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A SPECIALIST IN UROLOGY.  THAT'S WHAT I DID AND HE SCHEDULED A CISTOSCOPY.  I WENT BEFORE THE INFECTION APPEARED, WITH A SIMILAR COMPLAINT, BUT WITHOUT THAT MUCH PAIN, AND WITHOUT THAT MANY CHANGES IN THE COLOR OF THE URINE.  SINCE I WENT TO THE ER ON JULY I HAD THE COMPLAINT, BUT THE SPECIALISTS WERE ON VACATION AND I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL AUGUST FOR THE APPOINTMENT.  MAYBE YOU CAN HAVE BETTER LUCK AND FIND ONE QUICKLY.  HAVE YOU TRIED NATURAL REMEDIES?  CRANBERRY IS GOOD FOR URINARY PROBLEMS.  MARSHMALLOW (ROOT) IS GOOD FOR MUCUS FROM THE URINARY TRACT.  THERE ARE OTHER PLANTS THAT COME IN PILL FORM THAT YOU CAN GET IN A HEALTH FOOD STORE THAT CAN BE HELPFUL.
A related discussion, Get Rid of Infections without antibiotics was started.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.