This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

mucus like gelatin substance in urine???

Hx:  Here goes.  I'm a nurse at a local hospital near me.  Did a kidney stone, and a cystoscopy was performed and the stone was lasered.  After that happened I developed the lovely Klebsiella bacteria.  Was treated with antibiotics but it came back, so 4 more cystoscopy procedures to try to get the stones.  Infection was persistent. Dr.'s there gave up.  I listened to one of the Dr.'s who said quietly to get out and go to a bigger hospital.  So, I found an ID dr. and Klebsiella free for 2 mo.'s so far.  I thought it was back because UTI symptoms were present (pain after urinating and even sitting).  Has urinalysis and C&S done, came back with a different bacteria.  Treated with ceftin for 2 weeks.  had another urinalysis and C&S b/c symptoms still there and it was negative.  I noticed when I urinate there is a gelatin-like/mucus substance in my urine.  I noticed that the pain is there and then after I pass that it helps alot.  I noticed this substance after one of the cystoscopy's, but I just got crazy looks.  I'm hoping for any help so I can give the Dr.'s maybe an idea of which route to look into.  I have even been afraid to have intercourse w/ my husband b/c I'm afraid that it will make the symptoms worse.  Sometimes I think it does, but it's probably just a coincidence.  I'm going in for another cystoscopy to try to get rid of all the stones.  Thank you for any help.
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Difficult to say without evaluation.  There clearly has been a comprehensive workup done, with multiple cystoscopies and CT scans.  

Obtaining a urinalysis can exclude protein or blood, and I would consider blood tests to evaluate kidney function.

Mucous-like secretions can also be due to gynecologic causes.  If the urology workup is non-revealing, seeing a gynecologist can exclude this possibility.  A pelvic exam as well as transvaginal ultrasound can be considered to further explore this avenue.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed