Urology Forum

numb penis

dear miss/sir

I had surgery for phimosis several years ago and since then my penis glans has been numb. Idon't know if it has anything to do with the operation. The doctors I have talked with claim it is a psycho-somatic reaction, however psychologic treatment hasn't helped at all. Is it possible to messure the cunductivity in penis glans? Do you have any theories about what may be wrong?
There are two nerves that run along the top of the penis and provide sensation for the glans. They could conceivably be injured in the course of a circumcision, but this is unlikely. It is possible to measure nerve function in the glans. You would need to see a neurologist  for this type of evaluation.
Emotional factors may be involved, but the nerve conduction information should give you some concrete information.
Good luck!
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.