Urology Community
19.4k Members
Avatar universal

oxalate cyrstals in urine

Years ago my GYN said that I might have oxalate crystals in my urine as my "female area" is always irratated.  I went to my GYN recently and she said that I had blood in my urine and she sent it off to be cultured adn it came back that nothing was "growing" but I haven't heard from her what the next step should be she put me on antibotics.  It is still irriatated and totally annoying.  The blood in my urine has been there in the past off and on.  Sex hurts so much that I don't even want it anymore.  I'm really fed up and tired of the soreness.  I had a kidney "virus persay" years ago.  I had all types of measurements and tests run and there wasn't anything wrong and then what ever was bothering my kidney's and holding of water passed and I've never had any problems since. But the irritation is there and very bothersome (in my private parts)   I had my urethra stretched quite a few years ago because I wasn't urinating very well but no stones or anything was there.  I'm a mess and tired of the soreness and the antibotics.  Any suggestions on what needs to be done next?
1 Responses
Avatar universal

How old are you?

Oxalate crystals in the urine indicate that you are excreting larger amounts of oxalate than is normal (hyperoxaluria) or your urine is really concentrated.

Individuals with higher levels of oxalate in urine are predisposed to developing kidney stones made of calcium oxalate.

Though no stones may have been seen, their passing could have been the reason for the trauma to your urethra and the subsequent strictures (narrowing that needed dilatation).

Blood in urine is again an indication of kidney stones. The part of the tract from which the blood is originating can be determined based on what part of urination the blood appears in your urine - at the beginning, throughout, or at the end..

If you are over 50 and pre-, post- or perimenopausal, the irritation and painful sex could be related to a drying up of the mucosa in the "female area", due to a decrease in female hormones.
This can be treated with lubricating agents or hormone medications to get you through the tough part.

Meanwhile (until the cause of the blood is determined), you can do the following:

Drink plenty of fluids, in excess of 2000 ml per day.
Take natural sources of vitamin C-rich foods, such as cranberry and citrus juices.
Increase natural calcium intake (milk products, seafood)
Add cod liver oil capsules (DHA source) to your diet.

Do write back with the details required for a more precise response.
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.