Urology Community

pain in left groin area w/ a lump present

Hi Dr.

My husband has pain in his left groin area that started last night. He then noticed a grape sized lump in the same general area. He said that it hurts when pressure is applied and it seems to cause pain that radiates down his left leg. He broke his left ankle over a year ago so he has had pain in that side of his body occasionally, but that doesn't explain the sudden lump. Any ideas of what it could be? Do you think its necessary for him to go to his Dr?

Thanks,
Nancy
This lump which causes pain on pressure can be due to a swollen lymph node compressing on the nerves, boil or an abscess, sebaceous cyst or a lipoma or hernia. Your husband should apply warm compresses on the lump and take some anti inflammatory pain killer. If the symptoms persist then he should get it checked from a doctor preferably a surgeon. He will do physical examination and if need arises an ultrasound or biopsy of the area.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.