Urology Forum

possible stones...?

Posted By Victoria on January 31, 1999 at 01:06:06:

Family history of kidney stones, my father has had at least 5 flair ups, 1 surgery and numerous lithos done.  Recently my sister, after about two years of going to her doc with pain, was diagnosed and had the litho done (her right kidney was said to have been shut done for several months to a year).  

While I was pregnant last year I had pain in my right lower back, it lasted for about 20min the first time and about 45min the second.  I called my ob/gyn and she said come in if it does it again.  After, those two times it has not happened at all, no tests were run.  
After finding out about my sisters stones and finding that the pain was in the same location as hers, I asked my gen prac if he could check me out.  X-ray was inconclusive, there was alot of feces in the way.  So much so that he asked me if I felt okay, I did.  He said he would order a Ultra sound, has not done it yet.  I went back, he wasn't there, so I was given to another doc and she said neither test would be a true test, that I should have an IVP done.  She hasn't ordered it yet because she wasn't sure of the protocol or ordering a test since I don't have any pain right now.  I feel as though I am being given the run around and need information.
Also, are stones hereditary? and can the IVP show what you need to know, even without the pain?  Should I request to see a urologists?
Thanks in advance
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.