Urology Community

severe penile pain

I am a 56 year old man and have just started using a catheter, the first catheter was a 12F foley catheter which was in for 5 weeks then 2 days ago they changed it to a 12F pure silicone catheter, right after she inserted the catheter I developed severe burning pain in the shaft of my penis and now have excruciating burning pain when the bladder is emptying I went to the hospital and they gave me some antibiotic I also have blood inside and the outside of the catheter where it comes out of my penis is it possible the catheter was inserted improperly?
Hi there!

Yes, trauma during catheterization is a possibility. I would suggest keeping the Foleys in place and giving it time to heal and continuing with the antibiotics as advised by your doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!