Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.4k Members

staghorn stones

I had open surgery to my kidney to remove a staghorn stone ten years ago. I have not had any problems for nine years, but since last summer I have been having recurrent uring infections. I am at the moment having trimethoprim for two months; having just finished another two months treatment. I know my fluid intake is lessen since the first few years of my surgery. Is the reason for these recurrent infections the fact I am not drinking as much water as I should???
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,

How old are you? And which gender do you belong to?

Was the trimethoprim prescribed after a urine culture sensitivity report?

You need to have at least 2000 ml (8 glasses) of fluid intake per day. It is better if you can increase your fluid intake even beyond this.

Any decrease in fluid intake can predispose you to infections and development of kidney stones.

If you have had any family history of renal stones, and if your life style has seen any recent stressful changes, it is possible that you could have developed new kidney stones that are predisposing you to UTIs. Have you had any imaging done to rule out kidney stones since this infection started?

It is also possible that abnormalities in urine flow, such as vesicoureteral reflux, can predispose one to UTIs.

You can follow a few measures to manage your condition and help speed up recovery.

Drink at least 2000 ml of fluids per day.
Start consuming citrus juices daily.
Maintain hygiene.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.