Avatar universal

swollen testicle

Posted by ben on August 08, 1999 at 17:54:45
   about two years ago I got a fungal infection (jock itch). It was pretty bad and I had one testicle swell up. I went to the doctor and he said the swelling was nothing to worry about.
   The swelling has never really gone down and now I'm worried about cancer.
The rash from the fungus cleared up but some times it feels like it's still there. I also have had dry scaling skin around my nose since than and every once and a while my groin still feels itchy and gets a little rashy.
   Is it possible I still have the infection after all this time and the swollen testicle is a symptom? It's not really painful, just a little swollen and itchy. What can I do?

Posted by HFHS M.D.-BE on August 11, 1999 at 16:09:54

Dear Ben,
The fungal infection you have described is an infection which affects the skin superficially.  It does not tend to cause deep tissue infection.  The swollen testicle you got at the same time is likely to be an incidental problem which surfaced at the same time.  Otherwise, you may have predisposing conditions, such as diabetes, that may make you prone to infections.  At any case, it is highly unlikely that your "jock itch" would cause testicular swelling.  Although what you have described does not sound like an ominous problem, I still  recommend that you see a physician, preferably a urologist, to have your testicles examined.  Men between ages of 20 to 40 are at higher risk of developing testicular cancer.  There is no good replacement for a history, good physical exam, and possible ultrasound.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
*keyword: testicular swelling

Read more
Upvote - 0
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Post Answer
Urology Community Resources
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI