Avatar universal

urethral pain in my 8 year old

My 8 year old daughter has constant urethral pain. I have taken her to many doctors and done many urinary tests including an abdominal ultrasound, to no avail.
She cries of pain and I have to keep her from going to school. This occurs during warm and cold weather, mostly first thing in the morning and late at night.
Her vagina is constantly moist and has a reddish appearance, but does not burn according to her. When the pain prolong for a week or so, she gets a fever and is prescribed antibiotics to cure a non existing urinary tract infection.
I've given her herbal tea (chamomile) and done some home remedies which soothe her pain relatively quickly but I'm worried that this can be causing other harmful damage in her that doctors cannot detect.
What other testing should I specifically ask for when I take her to a doctor again.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Thank you for your promp response.
I'm still concerned with my daughters age, this has been happening to her since she was aprox. 4 years old.
She has never shown blood in her urine, that I can detect and all the urine test have come out negative.
The one thing that has helped her is sitting on a potty with hot water mixed with coffee. This procedure is of course a home remedy, but while she sits on the vapors of this substance, she is able to urinate and empty her bladder, which allows me to think that this may not be vulvovaginitis because she does'n have itching or discharge, but more likely obstructive uropathy.....but how can I be sure if she doesn't have back pains.
At her age is it safe to have a urethroscopy....and what is an IVP?
Helpful - 0
351246 tn?1379682132
Thanks for writing to the forum!
In girls there are various causes of urinary pain ranging from UTIs to vulvovaginitis, labial adhesions and foreign body in vagina like a toilet paper etc. Hematuria or blood in urine both visible and invisible is another cause. You should take your daughter to your gynecologist once and to an urologist. She may or may not need further tests like urethroscopy, IVP etc.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Urology Community

Top Urology Answerers
Avatar universal
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.