Urology Community

urethral polyp

I have a 10 week old baby.  In the last 6 months of my pregnancy I had hyronephrosis and pyelonephritis.  I then discovered a small lump at the opening of my urethra.  I had this with my first pregnancy and it went away after delivery.  This 1 has not and I am still getting urine infections.  My urologist says the lump is a polyp and is taking me in to remove it.  Will this stop the urine infections?  What % of polyps are cancerous?  I am really worried about this and need to know some facts.  Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you could give.
Polyps are known as benign lesions which do not turn cancerous.

"A urethral polyp is an uncommon, irregular growth that usually arises at birth. It is most common in females and is usually composed of fibrous tissue but may include some smooth muscle, small cysts or nerve tissue all covered by a thin protective layer of tissue. Symptoms include a lump in the vulva of the vagina, blood in the urine or a blockage of the urinary stream. Urethral polyps are diagnosed with cystoscopy, a procedure that allows a urologist to readily view the polyp, and a voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG)."
"Treatment for urethral polyps consists of removing the polyp using cystourethroscopy, a minimally-invasive technique that allows the urologist to peer into the urethra and, with additional miniaturized instruments, remove the growth."
www.urologyhealth.org/adult/index.cfm?cat=01&topic=32

A urethral polyp can cause recurrent infections based on the change it brings about in the normal anatomical structure of the urethra. It is possible that the presence of the polyp caused a persistent UTI, and eventually, the pyelonephritis.

In view of avoiding future complications, such as recurrent UTIs, it would be best to pursue the course of action your urologist has recommended.

Until then,

Remember to drink at least 2000cc of fluids, preferrably more, if you are lactating.
Start taking ascorbic acid 1000mg per day.
Maintain local hygiene. Wipe front to back after using the restroom.
Avoid the use of irritant chemicals and cosmetic products.
Avoid alcohol and caffeine consumption.

Do keep us posted on your progress.
regards
Many thanks for your advice.  The pyelonephritis occurred before the polyp was palpable.  Maybe it was inside up til then though?  Will keep you updated and hopefully won't have to wait too long for treatment as my urologist says he wants it removed asap.  I told him that it was small when he examined it and gets much bigger when i have uti or following intercourse.  He seemed to think it was large on examination and was amazed when I told him that it gets as big as a grape!

Again, thanks for your advice.
Gwen x