Urology Community

urosepsis from UTI

My mother-in-law is a healthy 60yr. old post menopausal woman. She has high blood pressure that is regulated with medication, exercise and diet. A year ago she had kidney stones removed with no complications. She has some age related incontinence, but nothing abnormal. She came down with a UTI, took cipro and it cleared. Less than a week later it came back. Cipro again, and this time it did not resolve. She took one more antibiotic, when to a urologist who told her she "had a massive infection" gave her oral tetracycline and an antibiotic injection I don't remember the name of. She still declined and became sepsis and checked herself into the hospital with chest pain. She went on IV antibiotics and stayed for a couple of days in the IV. The hospital did not cultural her blood however, only her urine and it came back negative. The hospital concluded she had a TIA from unknown causes. She recoverd at home for almost two weeks, but is now back in the hospital with another UTI on IV antibiotics. A blood culture is now being done. No one has addressed her previous kidney stones being related or ordered a sonogram of her kidneys. What more can we do to make sure the doctors are ordering all the correct tests and making sure she is getting the right care? She is in a small community hospital in Hendersonville, NC and it is very frustrating.
Thank you for any guidance you can give me.
Jessica
     Thanks for writing in. Sepsis is defined as a severe, potentially fatal illness caused by infection. "Urosepsis" is an imprecise term denoting sepsis from a urinary source. A urinary-tract infection generally begins after bacteria ascend to the bladder through the urethra. In some cases, the infection travels further, affecting the kidneys. In some patients with pyelonephritis, the illness progresses even further, with spread of the bacteria into the bloodstream. Such an illness can be fatal without prompt antibiotic therapy. Once the bacteria enter the bloodstream, the blood pressure can fall, depriving various organs of oxygen, including the heart and the brain. That is the reason why she could have been affected by a TIA.  

At some point, the patient may need strong medications called vasopressors to keep the blood pressure up, and ventilator support to keep the lungs working. The most important aspect of treatment is prompt antibiotic therapy. So, see what the culture reports say and start an appropriate antibiotic.

Coming recurrence of UTI, this could be due to decreased immunity, age, blockage of urinary tract with a stone, non compliance with antibiotic treatment etc.
I would suggest that you discuss all these possible options with your urologist for confirmation of diagnosis and proper treatment.
Best.