Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

use of Flomax

I have been taking Procardia (30 mg ER per day) for 15 years following a heart attack in 1988.  I also take Persantine and Zocor.  I am 67 years old and my blood pressure is very good - averaging 120 over 70.  In early October of this year, I began EBRT (3D conformal and IMRT) for early stage prostate cancer.  After several weeks now, I am having symptoms  of urinary slow down and retention, especially at night.  I get up about 5 times per night.  My radiologist told me to expect this.  We have started discussing use of Flomax temporarily to relieve these symptoms but he seems hesitant because he says the Flomax will lower my blood pressure somewhat.  I understand that Flomax is an alpha-blocker.  My question is how much risk do I run by using .4 mg of Flomax daily in light of the other medications I am using?  I am in good health, exercise regularly, and am not overweight.  Also, apart from my heart situation, are there any side effects to consider from using Flomax?  Thank you.
4 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It is true that flomax is an alpha blocker and can lower blood pressure.  This is especially true in light of the other cardiac medications you are taking.

It is difficult to quantify the risk.  There is no absolute contraindication between flomax and the other medications you are taking.  I would suggest taking it at night, so that the side effects (i.e. dizziness and light headedness) are minimized.  

Here is the side effect profile for flomax:
- Feeling lightheaded, sleepy, having blurred vision, or a change in thinking clearly. Avoid driving, doing other tasks or activities that require you to be alert or have clear vision until you see how this medicine affects you.
- Feeling dizzy. Rise slowly over several minutes from sitting or lying position. Be careful climbing.
- Headache. Mild pain medicine may help.
- Nasal congestion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
A related discussion, Flomax Side Effects was started.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.