Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.5k Members

wife of 37 years . . .

For the last several years my husband has been on medication for high blood pressure. His erection is semi-hard and penetration impossible. After all of our years together, this is a small problem, but I know he will not bring it up during an exam. I unfortunately do not know the name of his meds, but doctors out there: are there some medications known  NOT to  produce this unwanted effect? Thanks so much!
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
Any erection dysfunction can be due to semi or complete loss of erection. Lifestyle choices like excessive smoking, being overweight and avoiding exercise are possible causes. In such cases quitting smoking, losing excessive weight, and increasing physical activity may help some men regain sexual function. Other serious causes are neurogenic disorder (spinal cord and brain injuries), certain drugs like anti-depressants or nicotine cavernosal disorders, ageing, kidney failure, smoking, and psychological causes. Several laboratory tests can help to confirm diagnosis.

Tests for systemic diseases include blood counts, urinalysis, lipid profile, and measurements of creatinine, liver enzymes, and free testosterone in the blood. It can be treated by drugs taken orally, injected, or as penile suppositories after consulting a doctor. Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is very effective. When pharmacological methods fail; a purpose-designed external vacuum pump can be used to attain erection.  Psychotherapy and behaviour modifications will be of great help for you.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.