Varicose Veins Community
84 Members

PAD or tendinitis?

I'm a 57 year old male, not very physically active except some walking and light exercise. Lately if I walk for any distance up or down hills, my right leg hamstring and calves get very sore.  I pushed it a little, and they remained sore for a week, like a muscle strain.  There's no visible signs, my right leg isn't red or pale, now swelling, it isn't warmer or cooler than my other leg, which feels completely normal.

I was concerned this might be peripheral artery disease, but my doctor says I have a strong pulse in my feet, no unusual sounds in the femoral artery, and no indications of coronary artery disease.  So he thinks it is highly unlikely that I have arteriosclerosis in a big vessel in my leg.  But it is not going away, my right calf gets a little achy and kind of weak for some minutes after a walk.  He suggested it is tendinitis.

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I'd like a second opinion, and I was most worried about PAD, even thought my doctor doesn't think that is my problem.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else