High levels of Vitamin D is caused by what?
Last year I had my Vitamin D levels checked and it came back high, 201.  The doctor said it was at toxic levels and I should stop taking any Vitamin D supplements. (I was taking 1000 mg a day.). One year later and the test came back at 149. What would cause such high levels of Vitamin D?
Caution should be exercised when in the absence of a comprehensive medical assessment, doctors may determine a vitamin D finding above lab range , based on just a single test, as toxic! What have been your symptoms before, during and after your vit. D supplementation?
In a low cholesterol environment, since vitamin D is fat soluble, it could be gradually accumulating, mostly unused by
the body, possibly causing a functional deficiency, despite the high lab levels.
In addition, should this be combined with  a VDR (vitamin D receptor) polymorphism, a genetic mutation, you would  need  supplementation at much higher levels, along with boosting cholesterol through diet and perhaps taking also cholesterol supplements. Look into Sonic Cholesterol supplements made from raw sheep's wool.
Best wishes,
Niko
1000 mg of Vitamin D?
Did I read that right? Miligrams?
Usually, you would see the use of MICROGRAMS or far more commonly INTERNATIONAL UNITS.

So which one is it?

Also, the level of 201... 201 of what?
nmol or ng?

If its ng then that could be considered a problem only if you have symptoms (otherwise, toxicity was not noted even on those levels in peer-review).

If it's nmol, that would mean your circulating levels are at 80 ng... and that's pretty healthy and non-toxic.

So, please be specific.

Vitamin D RDA was miscalculated and it was determined that people should be taking closer to 10 000 IU of D3 daily:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150317122458.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4210929/

10 000 IU of D3 =   250 mcg
40 000 IU of D3 = 1000 mcg (or 1 mg)

1000 miligrams of Vitamin D would be 40 MILLION IU... and I think the highest recorded of undiluted Vitamin D being taken was between 1 and 4 million IU daily - which did cause problems after several weeks.

Normally, Vitamin D is measure in i.u.'s not mg's.  Have you been taking 1000 i.u.'s daily (which is not a high amount)?