Vitamins & Supplements Community
366 Members

Are there alternatives to Solvazinc?

My daughter is 13 and has a large number of warts on her hands.  Our doctor has done blood tests and diagnosed a zinc deficiency, for which she has prescribed Solvazinc effervescent tablets.  My daughter absolutely hates the taste of them.  I've read the info leaflet, and it says each tablet contains 125mg of zinc sulfate monohydrate which is equivalent to 45mg of elemental zinc.  I've investigated over the counter zinc supplements.  They mostly seem to provide 15mg of elemental zinc in a tablet you can swallow whole.  Would it be OK for me to buy some of those and give her three a day of them to replace the Solvazinc?  If so, should she take them all at once, or spread through the day?

I've written to the doctor to ask, but I can't find an email address for her, so it'll have to go by snail mail and wait for a snail mail reply, and I'd rather move my daughter onto something that doesn't taste vile sooner than that, so any help anyone on here can give in the meantime would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Too much zinc is toxic, which is why the supplements you're seeing have so little.  I assume the one she has she's supposed to suck on or chew -- this is done to get zinc into the system quickly, for example when you have a cold or flu.  Warts are caused by a virus.  I also assume this is only for a very short period of time.  There are zinc sublingual tablets that taste good -- I use one by Zand, a natural medicine brand, but it contains a lot less zinc than what she's taking because, again, it's toxic in high doses.  My last assumption is that her doctor has a telephone.
Hi Paxiled and thanks for answering.  She's been prescribed the 45mg tablets one a day for 8 weeks only.  They're effervescent - huge things designed to be dissolved in a glass of water and drunk, which is why the taste is so much more of an issue than if she could have tablets designed to be swallowed.
Again, I'm assuming this is to improve absorption, as absorbing minerals is slow and for fighting a virus it needs to be quick.  But that's a lot of zinc for two months.  I'd do some homework on this.  Zinc helps do two things that most doctors don't usually know -- boosts the immune system so things heal more quickly (often used in veterinary medicine) and to fight viruses.  But it would seem, if you're concerned about the taste, there are lots of alternatives.  One that is found in drugstores -- I don't use it because it has a lot of sugar -- is Cold Eeze, which you've seen advertised on TV probably without knowing it.  I prefer health food store brands because they use better sweeteners and fewer artificial ingredients and use the best form of zinc for absorption.  But the dosage is very low.  I suppose you could ask about her taking a lot of them a day, assuming it's safe.  But warts aren't really a big deal so big deal medicine isn't necessary, it just might be faster, assuming it works -- I don't really know if taking zinc internally will make warts go away.  But there are topical things you can try, even things that use natural medicine -- might work, might not, but they do go right where the virus is, not to the general immune system internally.  For example, St. John's wort can be used topically -- it is anti viral.  Usually these remedies will use multiple ingredients.  I hope I've provided food for thought you can present to your doctor if this med he's prescribed isn't at all palatable to your child.