Aa
A
A
A
Close
Vitamins & Supplements Community
384 Members

Mystery Vitamin Deficiency Hidden By B12 Deficiency?

Over the past 6 months, I've been recovering from a severe B12 deficiency. My primary doctor was unwilling to run a B vitamin test believeing that one did not exist and that the pain/tingling in my arms/legs and swollen tongue were all in my head. Thankfully, I was able to correct the problem myself with subligual B12 suppliments. Unfortunately while the pain/tingling in my feet/hands are gone, I'm now slightly tingly all over the rest of my body (started in the ankles and keeps climbing to my head), my swollen/burning tongue is currently terrible again, and now my cheeks are going numb.

I was able to strongarm my primary into doing at least a D and iron test (which came out back as being both slightly below nomal but not deficient) but I'm wondering what else I could be lacking. I've been taking a women's multivitamin, a b-complex suppliment and a 5000 mcg subligual B12 suppliment. Could I possibly be taking too much B12? I keep geeting mixed opinions on whether you can actually take too much or not but I'm afraid that if I stop, my first symptoms will come back.
1 Responses
I don't know much about B12 deficiency. Maybe your body may have trouble absorbing?

Folic acid in multivitamins isn't good. I take methyl-folate with my B-12.

If your iron/ferritin and D3 are low normal you should consider it deficient because lab ranges are much too low.

D3 range shows 30-100ng/mL as normal. You need gone above 50.

Ferritin should be above 50, someone told me 80 for hair growth.
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.