Vitamins & Supplements Community
355 Members

Sublingual administration

So I have some 5htp capsules which I want to take sublingually by emptying the capsule contents and putting it under my tongue as I have read that it's much more effective this way. My question is will it work, will the 5htp be absorbed? Because it is not specifically designed to be taken sublingually as a capsule I'm wondering if the powder will dissolve under tongue? Thanks
There is no benefit to taking this sublingually that I know of.  Generally the reason you take anything that way is to get it into your system as quickly as possible or because saliva is beneficial to absorption.  With 5-HTP, it takes some time for your system to react to it assuming your body finds it necessary to have more coming in -- if it doesn't, it just evacuates it.  The same thing is true when you take medication targeted at serotonin, though they work quit differently.  It just takes the brain some weeks usually for the brain to adjust to the new serotonin regimen.  Amino acids are usually best taken apart from food because the digestive process can make them harder to absorb.  Remember, this drug needs to get past the blood/brain barrier for it to work.  I'd just take it as directed.  And remember, sublingual substances are either in liquid form or something that dissolves under the tongue.  This capsule isn't designed that way.  
Sorry, said this drug.  While 5-HTP isolated from a plant certainly isn't the natural way to get tryptophan into your body (eating food is), it's still not classified as a drug and doesn't act at all like antidepressant drugs in that the brain still uses it in the way it naturally uses tryptophan combined with B-6 to manufacture serotonin.  Oops.
Thanks for the answer, I read that if swallowed as tablet that it is a lot more difficult for the serotonin to get to the brain. But if taken under tongue it is absorbed quickly and gets to the brain. So I just wanted to know if the powder in the capsule would dissolve properly under the tongue? Or just stay there and do nothing? There is sublingual 5htp which is specifically for taking under the tongue but I have capsules at the moment , I have emptied them and tried it but I'm not sure if it works
I already answered you -- not sure what you're looking for.  Take as directed, this isn't something you need to get quickly to the brain, it doesn't work like that.  Perhaps what would help you is to do some study on how the brain uses serotonin.  This is, as I said, something that usually takes some weeks to even begin to work, so how does speeding up the process help that?  This is a long-term treatment for anxiety and depression, not something that will work right away.  It might not work in any case.  The most important thing is to buy from a good company that you can trust to make a good supplement, but your body is going to do with it what your body believes is necessary.  Again, this isn't B12 where you can force feed it to get a short-term burst of energy.  This isn't a virus that needs immediate treatment.  This is an adjustment in the amount of serotonin your brain will get and you're hoping it will utilize it over time, not just now.  But here's a suggestion because you're going to do what you're going to do, which is fine -- try taking it in both forms and see if you notice a difference.