Vitamins & Supplements Community
380 Members

Vitamins in frozen fruits

I was at Costco and saw organic cherries and berries in the frozen food section.  I bought some.  My question is, are the nutrients and vitamins just as good or almost as good as if they were bought from a grocery store?  Any significant differences?

thanks,
zahadat
nima
I buy the frozen Wild Blueberries at Costco!

The darker the berry, the higher the anthocyanin content. Blueberries have at least five different anthocyanins. The anthocyanins are concentrated in the skin of the berries because, as with many other fruits and vegetables, the plant skin protects the fruit from the sun and other environmental assaults by concentrating antioxidants in this key location.

There are some subtle nutritional differences between the wild and cultivated blueberry the real difference has to do with their relative sizes. Wild blueberries are much smaller than their big, juicy cultivated cousins; maybe less than half the size. So, though perhaps 80 or 90 cultivated blueberries may fit in one cup, that same size cup will hold more than 150 wild blueberries! Calculating the surface area of those blueberries (remember, most of the supernutrients are in the skin) we find that a cup of wild blueberries has almost twice the blueberry skin as the cup of cultivated blueberries. Twice the skin, twice the antioxidant power in a cup of wild vs. cultivated blueberries!
The blueberry contains more powerful disease-fighting antioxidants that any other fruit or vegetable. As one positive report after another has come out on blueberries, the media have taken to calling them "brain berries" and "youth berries," and they certainly deserve the good press; just one serving of blueberries provides as many antioxidants as five servings of carrots, apples, broccoli or squash. In fact, 2/3 cup of blueberries gives you the same antioxidant protection as 1,733 IU of vitamin E and more protection that 1,200 milligrams of vitamin C.

I buy Michelle's Miracle Original Tart Montmorency Cherry Concentrate
Many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents are in tart cherries.
rich in anthocyanins, a class of antioxident phytochemical (disease-fighting agent found in plant foods). Other fruits and vegetables in this class include raspberries, strawberries, beets, cranberries, apples, red onion, kidney beans and red beans. Phytochemicals give brightly colored fruits and vegetables their colorful hues. Anthocyanins, in particular, encourage healthy circulation, ensure proper nerve function and offer anti-cancer properties.
A research study published in August of 2009 by the "Journal of Nutrition" conducted by T Traustadóttir, SS Davies, AA Stock, et al., investigated whether the consumption of foods high in anthocyanins is associated with improved health, in particular if the consumption of tart cherry juice (high in anthocyanins) improves the ability of older adults to resist oxidative damage. Oxidative damage may lead to an increased rate of death and disease in the elderly in response to infections, and diseases such as atherosclerosis, cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's disease. The study found that consumption of tart cherry juice provided older adults greater protection against the development of heart disease, cancer and age-related cognitive decline.
I buy this product at my health food store.