Vitamins & Supplements Community
380 Members

folic acid and vitamin d

Hello :-) I've been takin folic acid and vit d since I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks im now 13 and have stopped taking folic acid. Since getting out of routine iv missed my vitamin d a few days but iv felt miles better from not taking it no headaches dehydration or tiredness. Are these common side effects if so do I actually need vitamin d? If so when can I stop? Thanks
The vitamin D council recommend vitamin D serum level between 50 and 80 ng/mL (125 and 200 nmol/L) year round. The body needs vitamin D for many reasons but two important reasons are to absorb calcium and to activate killer T cells to kill off bacteria and viruses.  Vitamin D deficiency is linked to numerous health conditions from cold and flu to cancer so you want to make sure your serum levels are optimal.

To avoid symptoms of vitamin D supplementation either increase magnesium in the diet or take magnesium supplements.  If you have kidney disease or severe heart disease take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision. A few excerpts below with more information....

Excerpt from the Vitamin D council - Magnesium...

"Magnesium deficiency is epidemic in the United States, with the majority of Americans unknowingly deficient.  This can be problematic when optimizing vitamin D levels. In fact, it is common for rising vitamin D levels to bring up symptoms of an underlying magnesium deficiency.

Vitamin D has no known side effects. If one experiences any of the following symptoms due to supplementing with vitamin D - or with sun exposure - a magnesium deficiency is most likely the reason why:

irritability or anxiety
nausea
headaches
insomnia
fatigue
muscle cramps/twitching
weakness
constipation"

***

Excerpt from Baby Centre - Magnesium in your pregnancy diet...

"When you're pregnant, magnesium helps build and repair your body's tissues. A severe deficiency during pregnancy may lead to preeclampsia, poor fetal growth, and even infant mortality.

Magnesium and calcium work in combination: Magnesium relaxes muscles, while calcium stimulates muscles to contract. Research suggests that proper levels of magnesium during pregnancy can help keep the uterus from contracting prematurely."

***

Excerpt from The Journal Of Nutrition - High Prevalence of Vitamin D Insufficiency in Black and White Pregnant Women Residing in the Northern United States and Their Neonates...

"In utero or early life vitamin D deficiency has been linked to an increased risk of type 1 diabetes (11), asthma (12), and schizophrenia (13,14). Fascinating new data also show that vitamin D regulates placental development and function (15), which suggests that maternal vitamin D status may be associated with adverse outcomes of pregnancy, such as miscarriage, preeclampsia, and preterm birth."