Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Community
72 Members

MGUS: SERUM PROTEIN ELECTROPHORESIS TEST

In April 2008, I was diagnosed with a monoclonal protein of 0.2 g/dl. The diagnosis was made by a rheumatologist checking for possible Sjogren's Syndrome.  The test used was a serum protein electrophoresis (both blood & urine), and the protein was identified as IgM kappa using an immunophoresis test.    No other tests were done.

A follow-up serum protein electrophoresis test in Oct. 2008 also showed 0.2 g/dl but my follow-up in Dec. 2009 showed an increase to 0.3 g/dl.

Other than the serum protein electrophoresis test, no tests related to MGUS have been done.  The rheumatologist feels that, because of the low level of the monoclonal protein, no other tests are necessary (except for annual follow-ups of the SPE test).  Is that correct?  I am concerned at the increase in the MGUS level, and am wondering if a visit to a specialist (a hematologist maybe?) would be a good idea.

I'm a 60 year old female in otherwise good health, except for IBS & osteopenia.  Any advise?  Thank you.
I have just been told I have MGUS and the only thing the doctors will do is to test for M protein every 6 mos and see if it get higher, thats all you can do for know
Make sure you also have them run the Freelite serum free light chain assay test or Serum FLC in addition! That would check for light chain disorder when the M protein might not show at all.

http://www.fbr.org/publications/rdlnewsletters/rdlnewsletter_v14n1.pdf

Our doctor was only looking for M protein, while Multiple Myeloma was the light chain version and wouldn't ever show the M protein.  When discovered after two years of "watching" it was already stage 3.

Insist upon this test.
Do your research.  As long as the IgM is less than 3gm/dL its MGUS.  If you have no symptoms, it is just monitored until you die a normal death.  If you develope symptoms, then the fun begins.  You are lucky since you don't describe any symptoms.  Just hope it stays under the 3gm/dL.
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
From causes to treatment options, get answers to your questions about CML, a type of blood cancer
New drug options on the horizon may make CML, a type of blood cancer, one of the few success stories in cancer treatment
How eating more salt may actually save your life.
A deeper look into the relationship between salt and hypertension.
Why checking at new times can help.